[intrepid-notify] Intrepid schedule through Jan. 15, 2009

Tisha Stacey tstacey at alcf.anl.gov
Fri Dec 12 13:34:02 CST 2008

The schedule for Intrepid will differ from standard operations in the
next few weeks:

December 15th-December 23rd:  INCITE projects priority use of the 40-
racks of Intrepid

December 23rd-January 5th:  Argonne National Laboratory closure and
reduced support of Intrepid

January 15th:  Expiration of INCITE 2008 awards

On December 15th, the ALCF will open all 40-racks of Intrepid to
scheduling for the 10 days before the lab closes for the holidays.
During this 10-day period INCITE projects that have not used their
2008 allocations will be given priority to move forward with simulations
before the holiday break.  Discretionary projects are asked to be
conservative with their usage and will also be weighted to a lower
scheduling priority.  We will still be using the regular 'prod' queue
with new weights to prioritize non-negative INCITE projects.   Early
science projects will still submit to the '500T' queue, and most of
these projects will be scheduled after INCITE.  We'll monitor the system
until the 23rd and, based on what we see during that time, decide
whether to continue with the modified cost function or revert to the
pre-Dec. 15 cost function.

During the lab closure, there will be no support on official lab
holidays (Dec. 24, 25, 30, Jan. 1), or on weekends.  There will be a
single person online, but remote, on other weekdays (Dec. 26, 29, 30,
Jan. 2).  This person will be able to respond to queue issues, GPFS
issues, etc., but hardware failures and other issues that require
physical access to the machine room will not be repaired until January
5th when we return to normal operations.

As always, if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to
contact us at support at alcf.anl.gov.

Thanks,
ALCF Support Team