[intrepid-notify] Attention: Upcoming Storage Changes

support at alcf.anl.gov support at alcf.anl.gov
Fri Mar 4 15:10:05 CST 2011

Dear ALCF User:

Over the next several months, we will be making significant changes to our storage systems to better serve our users. Below is a list of all planned changes, though please keep in mind they will be implemented separately. Prior to each of the changes, we will send an email to remind you they are coming and to give you ample time to take any actions necessary.

***File system space redistribution***
We will move 1.5PB of space from /intrepid-fs1 to /intrepid-fs0. When complete, /intrepid-fs0 will be approximately 4.5PB and /intrepid-fs1 will be approximately 0.5 PB. This will begin almost immediately and should primarily impact users who use /intrepid-fs1.

***Hard quotas enabled***
Hard quotas will be enabled on all GPFS file systems. For /home, the quotas will be assigned per user. For /intrepid-fs0, the quotas will be assigned per project directory. Where projects have more data than the default quota, ALCF staff will contact you to discuss an appropriate project quota.

***/home mounted read-only***
/home does not have the capacity or the performance capability required to serve as a destination for the output from codes run on the Blue Gene. When used as such, users may be negatively impacted. To prevent this, /home will be mounted read-only on the IO nodes.

***Automatic scratch space clean-up on the login nodes***
Scratch space is intended to be short-term storage. Per policy, after a certain time has elapsed, files stored in scratch can be automatically deleted. Automatic cleanup will be enabled on the local scratch space for the login nodes.

***/home capacity, performance, data protection improvements***
Hardware will be retasked to increase the capacity of /home, make metadata performance significantly better, and to replicate the data to further reduce the risk of data loss.

***/intrepid-fs0/gpfs1-migration retired***
The /intrepid-fs0/gpfs1-migration filesystem, used to migrate users from the original gpfs1 to /intrepid-fs0, will be retired in order to reclaim the space.

Again, an email notification will be sent prior to the implementation of each change described above. The notification will provide dates and details on the upcoming activity, any impact on operations, and actions requested of the users. Ample time will be allowed for users to complete any necessary actions.

Thank you for your assistance as we work to improve our resources and processes. Please contact support at alcf.anl.gov with any questions.