[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - August 2

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Aug 2 16:32:08 CDT 2012

*** Reminder: Intrepid and Challenger /home Directories Mounted Read-Only on I/O Nodes ***
Please remember that Intrepid and Challenger /home directories are mounted read-only on the I/O nodes. If you run jobs from there, you may lose output, including core files. We recommend you run your jobs from /intrepid-fs0 or /intrepid-fs1. Please visit http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/data-policy for details on ALCF data storage policies.

*** Routine Maintenance Begins Monday ***
Intrepid, Challenger, and Eureka will have their regularly scheduled preventive maintenance period this coming week. For these systems, maintenance starts at 14:00 UTC on Monday, August 6, and is expected to end at 01:00 UTC on Tuesday, August 7. During this time, no jobs will be run on the systems, there may be disruptions in filesystem access and there will be no access to the login nodes.

*** ALCF Acknowledgement Reminder ***
Please remember to acknowledge ALCF in all publications based on work done with our resources. Also, please forward the title, authors, publication, source, publisher and month/year of publications to support at alcf.anl.gov. Visit http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/alcf-acknowledgment-policy for more information. Following is a sample acknowledgement:
This research used resources of the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility at Argonne National Laboratory, which is supported by the Office of Science of the U.S. Department of Energy under contract DE-AC02-06CH11357.

*** Data Transfer Service: Globus Online  ***
Globus Online (GO) is one of the data transfer services available at ALCF that addresses the challenges faced by researchers in moving, sharing, and archiving large volumes of data among distributed sites. GO was recently named the recipient of an R&D 100 Award for 2012. After you register, simply use the ALCF endpoints for Intrepid (alcf#dtn_intrepid) and Surveyor (alcf#dtn_surveyor) to transfer data from our systems to other destinations. Visit http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/using-globusonline for more information.