[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - January 5

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Jan 5 17:36:11 CST 2012

*** ALCF's Winter Workshop January 23-26, 2012--Register Today! ***
Whether you’re a new ALCF user, a seasoned pro, or somewhere in between, the ALCF’s 2012 Winter Workshop has something for users of all experience levels. Plus, based on user feedback, this year’s workshop will feature agenda topics you pick when you register. Beginning users, join us for Day 1, an ALCF primer that covers all the basics you need to know to get started on our systems. Then, stay for Days 2-4 where you'll be joined by users of all levels for a dynamic workshop that will cover timely topics of interest to all users. For more information and to register, visit: http://workshops.alcf.anl.gov/gswjanuary12/

*** Intrepid and Challenger Users: /home Directories to be Read-Only ***
Effective January 9, we will mount Intrepid and Challenger /home directories as read-only on the I/O nodes. When you need to write, please do so only to intrepid-fs0 and intrepid-fs1. For details on ALCF data storage policies, visit: http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/data-policy

*** Maintenance Monday: January 9 ***
Systems will have regularly scheduled maintenance beginning 15:00 UTC on Monday, January 9. Maintenance is expected to end at 00:30 UTC on Tuesday, January 10 for Surveyor and Gadzooks, and at 04:30 UTC on Tuesday, December 13 for Intrepid, Challenger and Eureka. During maintenance, you will not have access to the login nodes and no jobs will run. We will send a message to the notify lists when maintenance has concluded. Please direct any questions to support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** Script Mode Job Reminder ***
When you submit a job using --mode script, you are charged for the Blue Gene partition for the entire duration of the script, not just the parts where you use cobalt-mpirun or cobalt-subrun. To make the best use of your allocation, minimize the amount of time spent by the script executing other (non-parallel) commands. Please direct any questions to support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** Important Dates ***
Jan. 10: Applications due for DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowships: https://www.krellinst.org/doecsgf/application/
Jan. 23-26: Getting Started Workshop: http://workshops.alcf.anl.gov/gswjanuary12/
Jan. 26: Monthly User Call: http://www.alcf.anl.gov/events/alcf-user-call