[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - July 5, 2012

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Jul 5 16:48:37 CDT 2012

*** HDF5 Library Update Installed ***
An update to the HDF5 (Hierarchical Data Format) library has been installed on Intrepid, Challenger and Surveyor. The library
is located at /soft/apps/current/hdf5-1.8.9. Please see https://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/software-and-libraries for additional information.

*** Routine Systems Maintenance Monday ***
Regularly scheduled preventive maintenance for Intrepid, Surveyor, Gadzooks and Eureka will start at 14:00 UTC on Monday, July 9, and are expected to conclude at 02:30 UTC on Tuesday, July 10. During maintenance, no jobs will be run on the systems, there may be disruptions in filesystem access and there may be disruptions in network access to the login nodes. We will email users when the work has been completed and the machines are again available for general use. Please email support at alcf.anl.gov with any concerns.

*** Reminder: Intrepid and Challenger /home Directories Mounted Read-Only on I/O Nodes ***
Please remember that Intrepid and Challenger /home directories are mounted read-only on the I/O nodes. If you run jobs from there, you may lose output, including core files. We recommend you run your jobs from /intrepid-fs0 or /intrepid-fs1. Please visit http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/data-policy for details on ALCF data storage policies.

*** Call for Position Papers: Operating System and Runtime Software for Exascale Systems ***
The Exascale Operating Systems and Runtime (OS/R) Technical Council (TC) is soliciting community input in the form of position papers that describe novel research approaches for exascale OS/R. Submissions will be made public via the OS/R TC website and portions may be included in the final report. Papers are due July 13. Visit http://collab.mcs.anl.gov/display/exaosr for details.

*** Important Dates ***
July 13 - Exascale OSR Position Papers due: https://collab.mcs.anl.gov/display/exaosr/Call+for+Position+Papers