[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - November 15, 2013

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Fri Nov 15 09:05:35 CST 2013

*** Intrepid, Challenger, and Eureka Maintenance on Monday ***
The Intrepid, Challenger, and Eureka systems will have their regularly
scheduled preventive maintenance period this coming week. Maintenance
starts at 15:00 UTC on Monday, Nov. 18, and is expected to end at 01:00
UTC on Tuesday, Nov. 19. During this time, there will be no access to
the login nodes and no jobs will be run on the system. We will email
users when the work has been completed and the machine is available for
general use. Please send any comments or questions to support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** Webpage on the Decommissioning of BG/P Systems and Resources ***
The ALCF has launched a new webpage that provides the latest information
on the decommissioning of Intrepid, Challenger, and Surveyor:
www.alcf.anl.gov/user-guides/bgp-decommissioning.

*** View the ALCF Data Management Webinar ***
On Nov. 7-8, the ALCF held webinars on data management to help users
prepare for the decommissioning of our Blue Gene/P systems. The webinar
also included tips and tools to help maximize future data strategies. To
view a video of the webinar, see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkgf2KnaU4. The slides can be found at
http://www.alcf.anl.gov/sites/www.alcf.anl.gov/files/ManagingDataAtALCF_0.pdf.

*** The .file-data File and How to Use It ***
On file systems as large as the ones used in the ALCF, some of the unix
tools are not practical. For instance, du takes an excessively long time
to run. To help address this problem, we have developed a system that
scans the file system during system maintenance and produces a file,
named .file-data, for each user on the system with a summary of their
file data. For instructions on the format and how to use this file,
please consult the following webpage:
www.alcf.anl.gov/user-guides/file-data-file-and-how-use-it.