[Llvm-bgq-discuss] Interpreting CLANG assembly

Thomas Gooding tgooding at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 18 14:51:35 CDT 2013

llvm-bgq-discuss-bounces at lists.alcf.anl.gov wrote on 04/17/2013 11:06:14
PM:

> Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov>
> Can you be more specific about at what you're looking? The
> underlying assembly language is indeed the same (and, as far as I
> know, both compilers use the same underlying system assembler).

I'm not sure it uses the same assembler as gcc.  The following is an
instruction that gave me some trouble, it assembles under gcc but not llvm.
        mtfsf   0,%f0,1,0

start.S: Assembler messages:
start.S:278: Error: junk at end of line: `1,0'

The mtfsf instruction appears to have additional parameters in the embedded
PowerPC book.

Tom Gooding
Senior Engineer / Blue Gene Kernels
507-253-0747  (internal:  553-0747)