[Llvm-bgq-discuss] compilation + core dump question

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Sep 11 08:58:19 CDT 2013

Hal,

> I don't understand what you're trying to do there. If that executable was
> compiled with bgclang, and linked against PAMI, etc. then it can't be run on
> the frontend node. Can you explain?

Unfortunately, the depth of my ignorance is quite profound. Having spent years using crays where I could usually run executables compiled for the compute nodes, on the front end nodes, I just assumed that there'd be the same chips on the front end as the CN and most stuff would run ok. turns out this is far from true and so I will await the machine coming up again to experiment more.

(The code I compiled using xl did run on the front end though)

> I used /tmp/bgclang as the example directory on the web page, but you
> might actually want to use someplace in your home directory ;)

Indeed. I'm ahead of you there. I had changed to my home dir, since the filesystem is being periodically wiped during installation, nothing is safe, so it hardly matters where I put stuff :)

Thanks for the help - especially to whoever is responsible for getting the clang rpms made, this is really magic. I can't compile my C++!! stuff with xl, so seeing this work out of the box makes me very happy.

JB