[Llvm-bgq-discuss] bgclang r217688-20140912 on vesta/mira

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Sep 17 17:23:48 CDT 2014

Hi everyone,

It's been a few months since our last update, but the wait is over -- I've updated our bgclang install on vesta and mira to r217688-20140912.

This picks up a number of important upstream bug fixes (including in the PowerPC backend) and improvements. Two large upstream improvements for which I'm responsible:
  1. LLVM no longer loses track of __restrict__ pointer information on function arguments if the function is inlined.
  2. LLVM/Clang now support gcc's __builtin_assume_aligned and also __builtin_assume for providing general information to the optimizer.

This new version should fully support the V1R2M2 driver (aside from a known problem in the spi/include/kernel/process.h CNK header where an __INLINE__ is missing -- this has already been reported to IBM).

Also, this version of bgclang also comes with an BG/Q-enhanced version of gdb 7.8. The older versions of gdb provided by IBM don't fully understand the more-modern DWARF debugging information generated by bgclang. bgclang-gdb does, however, and you'll want to use it when inspecting binary core files generated from bgclang-compiled code.

For those maintaining their own installs, RPMs (and SRPMs) are available on the trac page: https://trac.alcf.anl.gov/projects/llvm-bgq

Thanks again,
Hal

--