[Llvm-bgq-discuss] 2 quick questions about upgrading

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Feb 3 04:56:48 CST 2015

Hi John,

It is not exactly a glitch, but bgclang produces DWARF information that the older versions of gdb generally used on the BG/Q (both the totalview one and the stand-alone one) can't handle. You should at least grab the packages for the latest bgclang release, and those come with a newer gdb (in the bgclang-gdb package) that can handle the newer DWARF produced by bgclang.

There is also a flag to make Clang produce older DWARF information, but I don't know if that will fix things for you or not (there is -gdwarf-2 and -gdwarf-3 and -gdwarf-4 and -gstrict-dwarf).

 -Hal