[Llvm-bgq-discuss] xdr_xyz symbols in bgclang

Sandipan Mohanty s.mohanty at fz-juelich.de
Tue Feb 7 09:24:19 CST 2017

Hi!
    Can anyone tell me why the xdr_* symbols are not in the version of libc
used by bgclang ?

    I am trying to help a project running on the Jülich BGQ system with some
linking problems. The program compiles fine, but at the linking stage, there is
a flood of messages about undefined references to symbols from the XDR library.
The attached file is a minimal example which compiles easily on most systems,
including the BGQ, but fails with bgclang++, throwing the same kind of
undefined reference errors (but only 2 instead of thousands). The xdr symbols
are usually in libc, as :

nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep -w T | grep -E 'xdr'

returns lots of hits. But, bgclang++ links with a different libc version, that
seems to not have any of the xdr related symbols. The include files are still
there:

/usr/local/bg_soft/clang/V1R2M1_base_4.7.2/gnu-linux-4.7.2/powerpc64-bgq-
linux/sys-include/rpc/xdr.h

Any help regarding linking programs using xdr_ functions would be highly
appreciated.

/Sandipan

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich