[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - August 11

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Aug 11 19:31:21 CDT 2011

*** August 2011 IBM XL Compilers Now Available ***
XL C/++ version 09.00.0000.0012 and XL Fortran version 11.01.0000.0012
The April version will continue to be the default, but we encourage users to test their code with the new version and report any problems. For instructions on using the new compiler versions, go to: https://wiki.alcf.anl.gov/index.php/Compiling_and_linking#Selecting_XL_Compiler_versions.

*** Temp Storage Auto-deletion Policy Now Active ***
The ALCF has implement an automated process for removing files from the /tmp and /scratch directories on all login and data analytics processing nodes (i.e., Eureka and Gadzooks). If you have questions or need help finding alternate local storage, please contact support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** Effective August 22: Space Quota on Surveyor ***
To more effectively manage our limited disk space, we will enable space quota enforcement on Monday, August 22. Once quotas are enabled, if you exceed your limit, you will be prohibited from writing to the file system until space is freed. Quota limits may be negotiated in specific cases of demonstrated need. To view your current storage usage and quota limit, enter "mmlsquota".  In the "Block Limits" section, the column labeled "KB" shows the current usage in kilobytes and the column labeled "limit" shows the quota limit in kilobytes. File limits will not be enforced.

>/usr/lpp/mmfs//bin/mmlsquota
                         Block Limits                                                                                  |     File Limits
Filesystem type                        KB      	    quota      limit       in_doubt    grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace  Remarks
surveyor_home USR        10253440          0   11280384          0          none |       55       0        0        0     none

We encourage all users to manage their storage allocation by removing data that is no longer needed. If you have questions about this information, please contact us at support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** We're on Facebook ***
Stay connected with the ALCF on facebook: http://on.fb.me/pCY7GV

*** Important Dates ***