[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - July 14

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Jul 14 15:48:28 CDT 2011

*** The ALCF's New Blue Gene/P Rack, Challenger, Has Landed ***
The ALCF has a new rack of Blue Gene/P, dubbed Challenger. Once Challenger is online (projected for August), the prod-devel queue on Intrepid will be retired, and work previously done there will need to be performed on Challenger. The addition of this rack brings several advantages: 1.) 24K- and full-machine runs on Intrepid will run through the normal queue without intervention, 2.) several additional partitions will be available to the Intrepid prod queues, thereby reducing queue wait times, 3.) Challenger will have 64 I/O nodes, allowing a smaller minimum job (16 nodes) and allowing more test jobs to run simultaneously, reducing turnaround times for testing. We will continue to update you as information becomes available.

*** Surveyor Space Quotas Coming - Delete/Move Unneeded Data ***
The /home filesystems on Surveyor and Intrepid are near capacity. Due to the chronic nature of home space issues on Surveyor, space quotas are coming. Please delete unneeded data and move data that doesn't need to be immediately accessible out of /home. For assistance, please contact support at alcf.anl.gov.

*** Important Dates ***
July 28: Monthly ALCF User Call http://www.alcf.anl.gov/news/eventsdetail.php?id=1257
SC11 - Important Dates: http://sc11.supercomputing.org/?pg=dates.html