[intrepid-notify] Space Redistribution Between fs0 and fs1, Project-based Directory Structure on fs0

support at alcf.anl.gov support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu Mar 10 13:59:49 CST 2011

As announced previously, we are moving forward with the space redistribution between fs0 and fs1. We will also add a new directory tree on fs0 with a directory for each project. We will be moving approximately 1.5 PB from fs1 to fs0. This will result in fs0 being approximately 4.5PB and fs1 being approximately 0.5 PB. For those of you who use fs0 exclusively, the only change you may notice is fs0 having more space after the next maintenance. For those of you who use fs1, it's important for you to understand the details, below, of the redistribution effort and how you may be affected.

We have been running an archive of fs1 in the background over the past month and have completed a pass. Starting March 21 at 09:00, we will mount fs1 read-only. We will begin a second archive pass to pick up any files that have been added or changed since the first pass. On Monday, April 4, during our regularly scheduled maintenance, we will reconfigure the file systems.

When we come back from maintenance:
*fs0 will have all the files it had before, but will have significantly more free space.
*fs1 will be smaller and empty (there is not enough room to restore all the files that were there)
*fs1 will be running without High Availability failover support

Read-only access to fs1:
As a result of the space reallocation, fs1 users will only have read-only access to their data for two weeks, or longer if the second pass on the archive takes too long. If this planned timeframe will cause a significant disruption to your project, please contact support at alcf.anl.gov right away.

Restoring data that was on fs1:
If you have data on fs1, pick a new location for it on fs0. As part of the next phase of this project, when we enable quotas, all files will need to be moved under the project directories, so it is highly recommended that you pick a location in your project directory. You may restore the data from HPSS anytime after we come back up from maintenance on March 21st, but please do not restore it until you have an active need for it. For assistance restoring the data, please contact support at aclf.anl.gov.

Status of fs1:
fs1 will remain available for use. Because of our hardware configuration, PVFS (fs1) and GPFS (fs0) share the same file servers. The PVFS high availability (HA) support causes instability in the GPFS file system when it automatically reboots servers to resolve problems. Therefore, once we come back up after the reconfiguration, fs1 will no longer have HA support. PVFS does not support quotas, so there will be no quota support on fs1. In general, we recommend that fs0 be your primary file system due to its much larger size, redundancy, and quota support. fs1 is recommended for file system performance comparison work, or for those cases where your workload characteristics are such that PVFS provides significantly better performance.

If you have any questions or concerns, please send mail to support at alcf.anl.gov.