[intrepid-notify] Unscheduled maintenance for file system-related work

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Tue Oct 4 15:43:17 CDT 2011

Subject: Intrepid /home Filesystem Recovery

During the last scheduled maintenance period, we encountered issues with the planned switch to the new home directories. As a result, we must restore the /home filesystem on Intrepid to its state immediately before the October 2 maintenance. Intrepid and Eureka will be offline starting tonight at 5 p.m. CDT (22:00 UTC) for this restore.

Any files that were written after October 2 are not lost. They will be placed in a subdirectory in your home directory called 'restore_20111004'. We will run analysis and find all new files, focusing first on the files of users who ran jobs or logged in after October 2. In the meantime, if there is a specific file or directory you need restored, please let us know and we can restore it immediately. Any file or directory deletes or moves done after October 2 will need to be redone. We will notify you when all new files are put in place.

If you have dependencies in your jobs that depend on files from previous runs, we recommend that you put your jobs on hold until you verify the files are back.

Again, starting at 5pm CDT (22:00 UTC), Intrepid and Eureka will be offline, logins will not be available and running jobs will be killed. If you have questions or concerns, please contact support at alcf.anl.gov.

We appreciate your patience.

ALCF User Services