[intrepid-notify] ALCF Weekly Updates - May 10

ALCF User Services support at alcf.anl.gov
Thu May 10 18:22:46 CDT 2012

*** Access the ALCF's Blue Gene/Q T&D Rack at Leap to Petascale Workshop May 22-25 ***
Mark your calendars and plan to attend Leap to Petascale: Making the Move to Mira. This workshop is geared especially for current INCITE, ALCC, and discretionary projects that have already scaled to multiple racks of Intrepid. With the arrival of Mira, the ALCF's 10-petaflops Blue Gene/Q, this year's workshop will focus on issues of scaling to the next-gen system. The workshop also coincides with efforts of teams preparing to submit 2013 INCITE proposals. A significant portion of workshop time will be devoted to hands-on tuning of applications with one-on-one assistance from our performance engineers and computational scientists. Special system reservations will provide the opportunity for full-scale runs and participants will have access to our test and development rack of Blue Gene/Q. Visit https://www.alcf.anl.gov/workshops/l2p-workshop to register.

*** Monday Maintenance ***
Surveyor, Gadzooks, Intrepid, Challenger and Eureka will all have routine maintenance on Monday. Maintenance starts at 14:00 UTC on Monday, May 14, and is expected to end at 00:30 UTC on Tuesday, May 15. During this time, no jobs will be run on the systems and there may be disruptions in filesystem access and in network access to the login nodes. We will email users when the work has been completed and the machines are again available for general use. Please email support at alcf.anl.gov with any questions or comments.

*** Maximize Code Performance Using MPI Environment Variables ***
Learn how to maximize the performance of your code using MPI-related environment variables. This week, we consider DCMF_INTERRUPT(S) to overlap communication with computation. Visit http://www.alcf.anl.gov/resource-guides/tuning-mpi-bgp to read more.

*** Important Dates ***
May 14-18 - ScicomP 2012: http://spscicomp.org/scicomp2012
May 22-25 - "Leap to Petascale: Making the Move to Mira" - Workshop: https://www.alcf.anl.gov/workshops/l2p-workshop