[Llvm-bgq-discuss] QPX clang BGQ

Hornung, Rich hornung1 at llnl.gov
Wed May 8 12:10:22 CDT 2013

Folks,

I have recently taken Hal's latest compiler updates (version
r176829-20130309) out for a spin on a suite of loop kernels I have
developed for checking compiler optimizations.  What I found is that when
using the -ffast-math option, my result checksums are very different from
when I do not use -ffast-math (for all 30 loops in the suite except one).
An earlier version (r176751-20130307) does not show these differences.
Also, I did not see any significant performance differences across the
loop suite between these compiler versions.  For completeness, I also
compared the checksums generated when the code was compiled with the xlc
12.1 compiler.  The checksums for -O0 vs. -O3 -qnostrict vs. -O3 -qstrict
are all essentially the same.  From this I concluded that something is
broken in the latest version of the optimizer.

So, if you're going to use the latest compiler version, make sure you
check your answers.

--Rich