[Llvm-bgq-discuss] Status of OpenMP support in BG/Q

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 12:33:48 CST 2014

A decade ago, we were forced to support many different compilers in Cactus, mostly because every supercomputer architecture came with its own compiler. These days, we support mostly GCC, Intel, and IBM's compilers, since the other compilers are too far behind, be it in terms of features, producing performant code, or not producing ICEs. Since Clang is so similar to GCC in its user interface, supporting it is almost trivial.

Portability between different architectures is very important to us. IBM's compilers are currently causing the most trouble for us since they have weird restrictions and bugs, and Clang/LLVM is correcting errors and adding features at a much greater speed than xlC.

The next infrastructure update of Cactus is very likely to use some C++11 features, either directly, or via threading or communication libraries that it uses.

-erik