[hpct] Summary of the issues: Sept 4, 2008

Hui-fang Wen hfwen at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 4 09:26:05 CDT 2008

3) What is IHPCT_BASE env. variable? When I should use it?

      Answer: It is recommended to set up the IHPCT_BASE environment
      variable. It may be required for some of the components in the
      toolkit. It is safe to always set this variable first. Please refer
      to the env_csh file in the hpct installed directory.  For example, if
      you install HPCT at /usr/local/ihpct_2.1, the IHPCT_BASE env.
      variable should be set to this installed path.

      4) peekperf does not show sources for Fortran program.

      Answer: peekperf will try to open the sources. If peekperf cannot
      find the files in the current working directory, it should pop up a
      dialog to ask where the top-level source code directory is. If
      peekperf still fails to locate, you can always use File->Open Sources
      to open the files.

      5) Fortran instrumented program generates "Error getting the
      executable name, line number information will not be available"
      message.

      Answer: Did you use the mp profiler? The MP profiler should be able
      to get the executable name. If not, there may be some problem here.

      Regards,
      Sophia

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Vitali A. Morozov" <morozov at anl.gov>                                                                                                             |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/03/2008 05:24 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [hpct] Summary of the issues: Sept 4, 2008                                                                                                    |

Hi Guojing;

Thank you very much for a quick response. I am also copying this message to
the list so that everybody know we have been working on some mentioned
issues.

1) I confirm, 5 is fixed. Great job!
2) I confirm, 6 is fixed. Very good!

A related question is how to search for a second occurrence?

3) We had the histogram capability in previous releases, so why cannot we
continue having it? What has changed since, say, March?

4) Please take a look at the picture you sent me in the next message: there
are two scroll bars: internal, which is what you are looking at, and
external, which never scrolls.

Issue 1) Agree - difficult to repeat. But there is second part - broken
PostScript output.
Issue 2) Open
Issue 3) In discussion
Issue 4) Open
Issue 5) Fixed
Issue 6) Fixed

Basically we have 3 issues, and one discussion.

Thanks again,

Vitali

Guojing Cong wrote:

      hi Vitali,

      I believe I fixed 5, 6, and 3.  Note that the histogram capability
      would have to depend on another software that we (IBM) do not own.
      Besides, the original Xprofiler on AIX does not have this capability
      either.  If you insist on having that, we can open another chanel for
      discussion, and see how we might get that for you.  There is no
      technical problem, the issue I believe is purely legal.

      Now for 1,  as it is sporadic, we will need to find a way to
      reproduce that in a repeatable manner.  It might take more time to
      fix.  For 4, there is a partial fix, and we are working to get it in
      there.  For 2, I am investigating.  I remember the scroll bar is used
      when there are many function calls.  I will send you a separte note
      with the xprofiler attached.

      Regards
      Guojing

 "Vitali A. Morozov"
 <morozov at anl.gov>
 Sent by:
 hpct-bounces at lists.alcf.anl.gov                                        To
                                                    HPCT Mailing list
                                                    <hpct at alcf.anl.gov>
 09/03/2008 04:18 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
                                                    [hpct] Summary of the
                                                    issues: Sept 4, 2008

      Sept 4, 2008: HPCT: Summary of the issues

      1) We want to be able to reduce statistics, generated in
      mpi_profile.* files, by some sort of MPI_Start_Statistics
      ()/MPI_Stop_Statistics() function calls. As we know from I-hsin,
      MPI_trace_start()/MPI_trace_stop() calls control tracing part only.

      2) According to I-hsin, "mpi_profile.<rank number> are generated per
      each MPI rank." We do not see this behavior: 4 files are generated
      instead with minimal, maximal, mean communication time, and
      collective over all tasks statistics file called mpi_profile.0.
      Please clarify 1) what is printed at the end of the run, 2) how to
      print statistics from a particular MPI task. Examples of the test run
      would be very useful to have.

      3) What is IHPCT_BASE env. variable? When I should use it?

      4) peekperf does not show sources for Fortran program.

      5) Fortran instrumented program generates "Error getting the
      executable name, line number information will not be available"
      message.

      6) peekview single_trace gives the node 0, 8, and 15. Example program
      was sent to the list already and contains 2 Sends and 2 Recvs. Where
      are the other communications? See attached screenshot.

      7) peekview on selective instrumentation does not show correct number
      of calls. From 1 Send and 1 Recv, we see nothing on peekview screen.

      8) HPM part does not work: core file at runtime. Please, give us
      example of 1) how to compile HPM-instrumented program, 2) what is the
      result of the run.

      9) Xprofiler has 6 open issues:
      1.        Load Files, Filter -> Uncluster functions, File -> Screen
      Dump -> Select Target Window,
      1.        clicking now on the main window may occasionally cause
      crach
      2.        resulting file Xprofiler_screenDump.ps.0 is a balack-box
      Postscript
      2.        The meaning on exterior scroll bars in not clear, they
      never scroll.
      3.        Removing Histogram functionality is unacceptable, A more
      complicated multistep example
      1.        Load Files
      2.        Report -> Flat Profile
      3.        Code Display -> Show Source Code
      4.        File -> Save as; File -> Close
      5.        Code Display -> Show Histogram w/Source Code
      6.        crash
      4.        Load Files, Report -> Flat Profile, Code Display -> Show
      Source Code, File -> Save as
      1.        Close the window by clicking X (not File -> Close)
      2.        Select another function in Flat Profile
      3.        Code Display -> Show Source Code; File -> Save as; crush
      5.        Load Files, Report -> Flat profile, Show Source Code,
      search anything non-existent, press enter, crash
      6.        Load Files, Report -> Flat Profile, try to search anything
      like 'asfsafd', once not found press Enter, crash

      Vitali